Last night I received an e-mail from an old student of mine. It came at the right moment... funny how that works. Hours earlier I had told my husband that while I LOVE and APPRECIATE that I am able to stay home and raise my babies, it is hard to feel "accomplished" and "appreciated."
I thought back to my many days of teaching and remembered feeling "accomplished" and "appreciated" at the end of each day. I was completely exhausted, don't get me wrong, and of course I had bad days but I felt like I got a million things done every day (even when I didn't get through all of my lessons). These days if I do all of the laundry, clean my floors, sneak in a workout and make dinner I feel "accomplished." The truth is, many days I don't get all of that done.
Yesterday I felt neither "accomplished" or "appreciated" despite my husband's efforts to make me feel as such. I know down the road the pay back with my kids will be huge and when I see their accomplishments, I will see mine. In the meantime, this was a great reminder for me. I am remembered, I am appreciated and I did make a difference those 6 years I taught. Thank you for reminding me... you know who you are. :-)
Arizona pics to be posted soon... Hoping to get a few more things "accomplished" before I take the time to blog. Oh, and just because I miss the old days, I thought I would post a few pics.
Hi Mrs. Harvie!
It's me M____ from your 3rd grade class at Stevenson! I am currently enrolled in ___ Middle School and I'm in sixth grade.
How are you doing? How is Mr. Harvie and Roderick? Today me and my mom checked your family blog after a long time and we were totally thrilled! Mckenna Rose is so cute; CONGRATS!!! (I can see why you didn't return to Stevenson)
I am emailing today to share a good news with you.I was told today by Our Principal that I was nominated by my teachers as one of the Students of the Quarter! They give this award to students who showcase my school's PRIDE qualities: Perseverance, Respect, Integrity, Decency and Compassion, and Excellence in Academics.This Friday we are going to have a ceremony where they give a certificate symbolizing the award, as well as a small gift.
I am feeling really happy and I am thinking of all the great teachers I've had so far who helped me get to where I am today. And who could forget you, Mrs. Harvie, and the amazing things we accomplished in third grade, thanks to your help.I learned so much and had a lot of fun at the same time. Once again, THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I hope you continue to have a great time with Roderick and Mckenna and enjoy a happy year!
From your student,
M_______
Don't I look accomplished?
Hi McKenna! One of my favorite teachers was also my 3rd grade teacher, and I still remember her and wonder how she's doing! So nice that this student was able to contact you and tell you how much she liked havine you as her teacher - love it!!
ReplyDeleteMy FAVORITE teacher was my 3rd grade teacher too! That's when I decided I wanted to be a teacher. I love getting emails from my former students. I love running into them even more. It's a little strange seeing them at a bar (that's happen a few times!. I have my first graduating class having thier 10 year reunion this summer! I still can't believe it.
ReplyDelete