Monday, March 18, 2013

Goodbye Grandpa Senior

Sometimes life can be so joyful yet so full of sorrow at the same time.  Over the last few weeks, Mckenna has turned 2 (post and pictures coming soon) and my best friend Sarah got married in Cancun.  We also had to say goodbye to my Grandpa Hotdog/Senior.

Bitter/sweet life can be.
Bitter/sweet my friends.

This is a poem I wrote for my Grandpa.  I read it at his service over the weekend.


We gather here
We come together
To celebrate life

Take a minute
Give a hug
To his family, friends and wife

“I’ll be a son of a bitch”
This place is really packed
John McKenna Senior
You’re loved and that’s a fact

But on this day our hearts feel heavy
Our eyes full of tears
But my Grandpa Hotdog
You lived 81 joyful years

You’ve created many masterpieces
Put hard work to the test
No matter the struggles that came your way
You always did your best

Oh how you loved to garden
And grow your apple trees
I won’t forget that orchard
Or how perfect it used to be

Italian chefs beware
With Senior don’t compete
Spaghetti with some meatballs
His meals just can’t be beat

Let’s not forget the deer meat
We ate at Christmas time
Another recipe you’ve passed down
From your family to mine

A carpenter you were
In your trade and outside too
Building, installing, and constructing
A family through and through

My kids have grown to love you
Buts that’s not hard to do
I’m so very thankful
For the time they spent with you

You used to ask my Roderick
“Hey where’s the light?”
He’d take that little finger (^)
He always got it right

Now that you’re in heaven
We can see you in the stars
So all of your great grandchildren
Will know where you are

So when I ask Roderick
“Hey, where is the light?”
He’ll take that little finger
To the star shining bright

On this day Grandpa
Eat your meatballs and cashews
Then make yourself a hotdog
That’s what you should do

Then watch a Western movie
Relax without a care
One thing about heaven
There’s no Parkinson’s up there

It’s always hard to say goodbye
Not too fun to face
I think we should remind ourselves
You’re in a better place

I’m going to call up Bethany
To sing a special song
It’s written by Brad Paisley
Feel free to sing along

When I get where I'm going
On the far side of the sky
The first thing that I'm gonna do
Is spread my wings and fly

I'm gonna land beside a lion
And run my fingers through his mane
Or I might find out what it's like
To ride a drop of rain

[Chorus]
Yeah when I get where I'm going
There'll be only happy tears
I will shed the sins and struggles
I have carried all these years
And I'll leave my heart wide open
I will love and have no fear
Yeah when I get where I'm going
Don't cry for me down here

I'm gonna walk with my grand daddy
And he'll match me step for step
And I'll tell him how I missed him
Every minute since he left
Then I'll hug his neck

[Repeat chorus]

So much pain and so much darkness
In this world we stumble through
All these questions I can't answer
So much work to do

But when I get where I'm going
And I see my maker's face
I'll stand forever in the light
Of His amazing grace

Yeah when I get where I'm going
There'll be only happy tears
Hallelujah
I will love and have no fear
When I get where I'm going
Yeah when I get where I'm going
Don’t cry for me down here

And so today, it’s not goodbye
Until we meet again
Your memory will live on
Through your family and friends

We miss you Grandpa, yes we do
This we’ll always know
We never will forget you
Oh we love you so

John McKenna Senior
February 4, 1932- March 11, 2013
81 years old
Grandpa and Roderick (2010)
4 Generations 
Grandpa, Dad, Sean, and Roderick 
Uncle Greg, Harv, Grandpa, Sean, Roderick and Uncle TR
Grandpa Age 80
Grandpa and Mckenna 


I am so happy we were able to celebrate Grandpa's 81st birthday together just a few weeks before he passed
We miss and love you Grandpa XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment