Friday, April 19, 2013

Arizona 2013

It's crazy.  I have been going to Arizona on a yearly basis since about 1992.  I have missed a year here and there but for the most part, I have been fortunate enough to go and spend time with my family in the sun quite often.

I have to say though, although we go each year, I seem to do something different each time.  Back in the 90's, it was all about frying myself in the sun and shopping.  Yeah, I would lather on the baby oil, yes, you read that right, baby oil and burn to a crisp.  I wanted people to notice that I had been somewhere hot.  Plus, tan fat is always better than white fat. That was my motto in High School, and College, and... somedays now and then. :-)

When I would go to Arizona during college spring break it was STILL about frying my skin and shopping.  Oh, and talking on the phone.  We didn't have e-mail waaay back when.

Then when I moved to LA, I would drive over for a long weekend with Theckston.  These days were all about working out, eating carbs and feeling terrible about it, laying in the sun, blazing loud music and going out to the Scotsdale clubs- Axis Radius and Sanctuary.  Wow.  I can't believe I let my Grandpa and Grandma see me in mini skirts, low cut tanks and go-go boots.  Hmm.  What was I thinking??? Moving right along...

These days when we visit Arizona, its all about minimizing our time in the sun (hello, too much sun will age you and can damage your skin).  Instead of frying ourselves, we get a spray tan, sit in the shade and make sure our kids are lathered in sunblock.  Oh, and gone are the days of sitting outside catching up on People Magazine.  You can't take your eyes off your kids for a second.  Its a different, way less mellow, kind of vacation.  Our trips also include many days at the train park, eating at the house instead of going out, Rawhide, Rustler's Rooste (Sean, Prita, Kennedy, Roderick, Elyse and Robert ate rattlesnake), carousel rides, swimming in mini pools, swimming in big freezing cold pools, naps, ice cream, playgrounds and cleaning up after 4 little toddlers all.day.long.

Looking back I realize, this is how it is supposed to be.  Our vacations change from being all about US to all about OUR KIDS.  And you know something, I wouldn't want it any other way.























































Hey, Hertz Rent a Car... if you find Prita's missing camera, we can add to this.  If not, we've got memories.  Lots and lots of wonderful memories.  


No comments:

Post a Comment