Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Matriarch of our Family Turns 80

Ok, so she's not technically 80 until the end of November but who doesn't want to turn 80 a few months early??? Ok, maybe not.  But she didn't have a choice.

You see, this year our family decided to throw grandma a surprise 80th birthday party at her favorite place- Anderson Island.  I didn't have much to do with the planning of it all but I will say, it was a GREAT time and boy was grandma shocked!

For those of you who know me, you are aware of just how special my grandma is to me and my family.  She is the most loving, caring, generous person I have ever known and I have so much admiration for her.  My kids are crazy about her as well.  She slept over at our house this week and my kids are beyond upset that she only stayed one night instead of 45.  Yes, Roderick asked her to sleep over for 45 days. Guess we'd better move back into the Castle.

You know I just had to write a poem for Grandma and read it to the crowd.  It "wasn't my best" performance (thanks honey) but it was up there, right after Sean's amazing speech.

Happy Early Birthday Grandma! May God continue to bless your life!

Grandma’s 80th Birthday Bash

Surprise! We did it! You had no clue
Happy Birthday Grandma
Today is just for YOU

Take a minute, look around
At all of our smiling faces
Enjoy this time with all of us
At one of your favorite places

A little poem just for you
I really have to say
If I wasn’t already your favorite
I will be today

I want to share some memories
Highlight my favorite things
I can’t wait to hear
The laughter that it brings

All of you that know her
She’s one of a kind
The world’s best grandma
One that’s hard to find

I don’t know why I love it
But she not like the rest
Sitting in a rocking chair
About to knit a vest

She drives a great big hummer
Completely normal right?
Its not like she’s 80
And can’t control her sight

I love to see the look
On all the peoples faces
A tiny little lady
Going all sorts of places

In a giant hummer
The trunk filled to the top
Once she starts shopping
It’s just so hard to stop

She really loves to go
To her favorite TJ store
Always for the bargain
You can buy so much more

She can fill a cart
Faster than anyone I swear
Not for herself though
It’s for others that she cares

The most generous woman
That you ever did see
Is the star of this party
And a grandmother to me

She’s more than that
Don’t ya know
At one time did we share
A home on the water
A life with little care

Grandma was our roomie
Not just overnight
After a heat wave
Oh it felt just right

To occupy the castle
With my husband and my son
Two years later, there we were
Having so much fun

Late night movies, lots of laughs, and yes some Fox News
If only that damn President knew just what to do

It is no secret, you wont be shocked
But she’s Republican
She flies her flag, she loves this land, she’s seen where it has been

I love her dedication
To all that she holds dear
You have no idea
Just how much
She’d love my grandpa here

He’d be in his moon boots
She’d be in her heels
And you could tell just by looking
Exactly how they feel

And while he’s not here physically
We know that it’s true
Every day he is sure
To watch over you

She’s a giver of everything
Even her heart and soul
To be kind, sweet and generous
That is always her goal

Unless you are a Democrat
Or don’t think like you should
Then you’d better watch it
She’ll give it to you good
  
She’s not afraid to speak her mind
And why should she care?
80 years she’s put in
That is only fair

She’s the matriarch of the family
She is the queen bee
All these people love you
It’s just so clear to see

The help you give
The lives you touch
I just have to say
I really hope
When I’m you’re age
I’m the same way

Sissy, Squeaks and Kyler
Couldn’t love you more
I guess I know, exactly what
Great grandmothers are for

My kids they do adore you
With that they always say
“Grandma stay the night,
stay another day”

All you bring to our lives
The truth must be told
When our God made you

He must have broke the mold
Written By: Amy Harvie 



No comments:

Post a Comment