Speaking of growing up, I recently took a little drive down memory lane and went back to my hometown. Everyone knows I am a HUGE fan of the Eastside. It has always been my goal to raise my kids where I grew up. Its not because I want to be around a bunch of rich people who drive their kids to school in BMW's either. Its because I have so many fond memories of Redmond, Sammamish, and growing up on the Eastside. Let me take you back (or me back rather).
This is a very dark picture of the house my parents built back in the 80's. I have some memories here but not many. I remember one Christmas in this house, baking cookies, sitting on the window sill pretending to be Annie, riding sleds (without snow) down the rocky hills, cutting wood at the woodshed below and visiting my Grandpa Aldo who lived just down the road (yep, we have always liked to live very close to family). This is also the house I was living in when my parents divorced. I can recall exactly where I was standing that day. Funny the things we remember, even at the young age of 4. We didn't live in this house very long but don't worry... we (meaning my step dad Mike, my mom, Sean and baby David) built and moved to the house pictured below...
This is a picture of the house I spent most of my life in. I had not been here in years and I have to say, when I saw how trashed the house was, it made me cry. It looked so different than I had remembered. I guess thats life. I lived in this house from about age 6 until I left for WSU. I have SO many memories in this house. A few that I will always cherish are playing out back on the tire swing, playing in the play house (which was COVERED in bushes now), playing in the woods, birthday parties with friends, the smell of home made meals, many wonderful Christmases, and so much more. I remember the moment my mom told me she was pregnant with my sister Sarah. I was in Junior High and my mom was SOOOOO old to have another baby. Yeah, 33 was old back then. I remember turning 16 in this house and parking my very first car in the driveway (a 1976 yellow Toyota Celica with green stripes... so not an "Eastsider car"). I also remember leaving this house for the last time and driving away in Dye's VW to head to Pullman. I cried the whole way there... wow. That must have been so much fun for you Dye. :-) I have shared many fond memories in this house, both good and bad. It was strange to drive waaaaaay up this driveway, look at my old house, and feel all those same emotions again.
This is a picture of my Grandpa Aldo's old house. All three of these houses are on the same street, waaaaay up a loooooong, steeeeeeep hill. I was pleasantly surprised to see how beautiful these owners had kept the place. Even the driveway was swept clean and perfect... just the way Grandpa would have wanted it. I can see you are still keeping things in check Grandpa... even up in heaven. Just don't look at your truck that mom is driving (LOL). Love you Mom. Kidding of course.
This is a picture of the hill leading up to our house. It doesn't look very steep and scary oh but it was. This is also where the bus would drop us off. NO WAY would that bus go all the way to the top. It never would have made it. On most days, mom would meet us at the bottom of the hill in her maroon Isuzu Trooper. I dreaded the days the trooper was a no show and my brother and I would RUN as fast as we could up this hill. I think this is how I really got those "cougar calves."
This is my very first elementary school Emily Dickinson. I went to school here from K-3rd grade.
This is also the place where I had my favorite teacher of all time MR. WATSON (2nd grade). See, teachers really do make a difference. It is also the place where I met my oldest and dearest friend Jaime (Elliott Chew). We don't always see each other but when we do, its like no time has passed. Looking forward to seeing her on Monday where she will meet my babies for the first time. Jam- Alaska is too cold. Please live here from now on.
The beginning of my 4th grade year, Louise May Alcott opened. I was separated from many of my friends and very sad to leave Emily Dickinson.
But, don't worry friends, my BFF Jaime also went to school here. This is where we met the great Nicki Todd who, unfortunately, became one of "The Bongo Butts." I guess wearing matching Bongo jean jackets wasn't that cool? Sorry Nicki.
Just because I was in the area, I had to drive by the house Jaime grew up in. I spent SOOO much time at this house in Elementary School. It was perfect! Her parents worked so we got the house to ourselves. We also got to spy on the naughty boys down the road (Cory, Park and Bryan...mom, you tried but could not keep us away). Hey Mckenna- No dating until you are 18! I mean, 30 :-)
This is my Junior High. Looks like its a Middle School now. This is where I met my other old friend Camille Kelly Carlile (Aka. PUP). I have so many wonderful memories here from Mr. White in his yellow sweater, to Pup, Heather Sullivan and I meeting up with all the boys from Redmond Jr. High. I am so thankful this Jr. High gave me such wonderful experiences and amazing friends who I still see today. Got nothing but love for the Evergreen Eagles and Da Pup!
And just because the Pup lived so close to Evergreen, I had to do a drive by of her old house. Oh Pup. If these walls could talk... if these walls could talk. XOXO
I did't have time to drive by Redmond High School or Eastlake High School or you know I would have. People often ask "if you could go back to High School and do it all again (still ending up where you are today) would you?" My answer is always YES. I loved school. And I love the education I received, the teachers who motivated me and the friends I made that are still with me today. I am blessed.
This post was a little history lesson for my kids. This is just a little snip into mommy's life growing up. More stories to follow... edited versions of course. :-)




No comments:
Post a Comment