This year when a former colleague contacted me and asked me to come back to Stevenson ONE DAY A WEEK, I was thrilled! My old work friends! My old school! My old students! I was shocked. Working only one day a week is practically unheard of in the Bellevue School District.
Back in January when this "one day a week" job was offered to me, I was working through my anxiety and questioning whether or not I should actually take the job. I was concerned and almost felt guilty "working" when I don't actually have to. I also realized I would basically give away my whole paycheck, leave my kids to teach someone else's kids all day, I would have one hell of a commute, and most of the curriculum is different so it would be like my first year of teaching all over again.
Then I realized it was just what a needed!!! A day for ME! A day to get out of the house, use my brain again (I mean, second grade math these days can be difficult), collaborate with adults, do what I love, and make a difference. That's what teachers do right? They change lives? Not this year. Someone changed mine.
This is Amelie. She is 8 years old. She has an anaplastic astrocytema. Its an aggressive, diffused, grade 3 brain tumor. Amelie has cancer. She was diagnosed after I started teaching the 2nd grade class. My life will never be the same.
Amelie is a fighter in every aspect. After she got sick, I began tutoring her one day a week for 2 hours. She was no longer able to come to class as her mornings consisted of radiation. But she wanted to do everything her peers were doing in 2nd grade. And she did. She is such a smart, sweet, caring, young girl and my life will never be the same because of her.
A HUGE thank you to my family for helping me support Amelie and her family. Thank you for the donations, the gift cards, the furniture, the art supplies and for keeping this precious girl and her family in your prayers.
This last Friday, I had a meeting with Amelie's family and Gloria's Angels (organization to help set up a team of supporters). As Amelie continues her chemotherapy treatment, she remains very weak, will not eat or take her pills. As I type this, she is in Children's Hospital. Her blood counts are fine and there is no infection but she has a fever and mysteriously low oxygen. She is headed for an MRI. This family needs support, love and prayers. I will be creating TEAM AMELIE and hope to have a kick off to get more community members involved this week. If you want to help, please contact me. Thanks!











Beautiful post.
ReplyDelete