Update on Amelie:
Amelie had an MRI last month and results do show a 65% reduction rate in tumor size! This is great news!!! Although the tumors will never go away, she is doing her best to push through the rough times and try to live a "normal" 3rd grade life. She does attend school on most days and is loving her teacher and classmates. Nipuna says that usually by noon, Amelie leaves school due to a headache, nausea and being exhausted. She continues to undergo chemo every other Monday and will do so for the next 8 months at least. She is actually at Children's right now getting her treatment. She usually does not feel well for the days following chemo so I am praying that she feels ok on Christmas, one of the best days of the year.
Over the last few months, Amelie has been in a few plays. One of which I, along with teachers and the Principal at Stevenson, were able to see. Amelie did an OUTSTANDING job as an evil crow. Her love for the Arts keeps her going and I pray she is able to continue doing what she loves while she has the energy.
I spoke with Nipuna this morning and she told me she can't believe the amount of love and support she has received over the holidays. She mentioned that Peyton's Ranch and Comfort Critters came and decorated their house for the holidays. http://www.peytonsranch.org They brought lights for the outside, a tree, a wreath and even took the kids shopping for their mom. Peyton passed away at age 7 from a brain tumor a few years ago. Her parents, who I went to college with, have dedicated their life to making children who are sick, feel the love and comfort they deserve. They are an amazing group of people doing wonderful things for children all over. Nipuna also said there are presents under the tree for the family and the kids are so excited for Christmas. However, this time of year is especially difficult, as Amelie, Skanda and Nadia have to celebrate their first holiday season without their dad. Amelie has been struggling with this the last few days and so I ask you keep the family in your thoughts and prayers.
Richard Sherman from the Seahawks came to visit Amelie and her family ON Christmas morning and even brought them gifts! What a guy!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcoCQZ_ct9s&feature=share
-Video of Sherman at Amelie's house (never mind he called her Amelia) Still a HUGE fan!
I know the holidays can be very busy for everyone. I also know that you have all put in a ton of effort to help Amelie and her family over the last several months. The year is coming to an end and I know the Rue family still needs some help. Please let me know if you are interested in helping in any of the areas below:
Meals: We have been providing the family with TWO MEALS EVERY WEEK since August. The support has been AMAZING!!! We are hoping to have people sign up ONLY ON CHEMO DAYS, as Nipuna and Amelie are at Children's all day every other Monday. Don't worry, the family DOES have a meal coming tonight!!!
Below is the link to sign up IF time allows you:
Cleaning: TEAM AMELIE paid for Nipuna's house to be cleaned by Maid Pro for 6 weeks. It costs $63.00 a week in which someone comes and cleans for two hours every Monday. Nipuna could not afford to keep Maid Pro after we stopped the service so at the moment, they don't have anyone cleaning. Amelie recently had a cold and with her compromised immune system, I would LOVE to get someone in there ON CHEMO DAYS if that is all possible. Again, chemo days are EVERY OTHER MONDAY, starting with today.
Laundry: Thank you to Jacqueline and team for doing laundry EVERY week since August!!! Nipuna said she never knew how helpful it would be to have someone doing laundry. I think we need to give the current laundry team a break so if anyone else would like to jump in and do laundry ON CHEMO DAYS, let me know. If not, thats ok too. I think laundry is last on the priority list.
Again, I KNOW you are all very busy this time of year and that you have all done SOOO much already. I also know that this is the time of year that people feel most inclined to help those who need it most. I do NOT want to ask too much of any of you and I do not want you to feel as though you "have to" help. But ANYTHING you can do in the coming year to get the Rue family through this hard time would be much appreciated.
Thank you all again for everything!!! TEAM AMELIE is not possible without each and every one of you.


No comments:
Post a Comment