Saturday, January 2, 2016

For most, 60 is the new 50

For this guy, 60 is the new 42 with 18 years of experience!  We threw our dad the party of the year! We had originally wanted it to be a surprise but it's nearly impossible to plan something like that for a guy as nosy and busy as my old man.  Instead, he knew about it.  What he didn't know was that he would be surrounded by some of his favorite people, that we would have a live band (Aphrodisiacs), a photo booth, food that was over the top, decor that would blow your mind, an open mic and a special slide show which included the grandkids.  I think it's safe to say the party was a HIT! And so were the speeches.  Here is mine.  And yes, it rhymes :-) Happy 60th Birthday Dad!!!

An adorable little redhead
Arrived in ‘55
They named him John Jr.
When he first came to life

Born in July
Not long after Lynn
Smart, loud and funny
It’s how he’s always been

Above Kim and Greg
Second from the top
Son of John and LeeAnn
His loud mouth never stopped

He did first grade twice
Back in the day
“Where is my Inny?”
He always used to say

They called him immature
Took him some time to read
You’d never know it today
He continued to succeed

Later he was married
Two families combined
We’ve always been a crazy bunch
“normal” is hard to find

He’s a husband, he’s a father
To Sean, Amy Chris and Jen
But sometimes he has 5 kids
If we do count Ben J

Somehow he did it
He juggled home and work
We know he is a planner
Just a little perk

From the produce boy at Safeway
To running a job site
I guess its fair to say
He has done something right

Coast, Keystone, Goodcomer
McKenna Construction too
At the fine young age of 21
He knew just what to do

He learned from the best
He didn’t skip a beat
And in the early 80’s
He was in the drivers seat

FNW
As you well know
Is thriving still today
Garden style- mid rises
Are well on their way

All the jobs are tidy
And everything is clean
He is incredibly organized
You all know what I mean

Especially if you work for him
Or if you are his kid
And if you want a contract
You’d best be a low bid

My dad is always busy
He never gets a break
The first guy on the job
He’ll do what it takes

Even as the boss man
He’s actively involved
Late nights with the crew
Until the problems solved

I guess that’s who he is
And proud I am to say
This incredible generous guy
Has always been this way

He’ll give the shirt off his back
Like it is no big deal
See a veteran, shake his hand
And even pay his meal

How do you do it?
Take care of everyone?
People you know, people you don’t
It’s amazing what you’ve done

To top it off
I want to say
My dad- he is so funny
And now that you are buttered up
Can I borrow some money?

The tab right now
I’m scared to see
I feel it may be high
I know I said we’d cover it
But hey- you love to buy!

I’ll get you back
I always do
I know right where you live
It’s not my fault
It’s who you are
You really love to give

Success wasn’t easy
Hard work he had to do
My dad he was determined
Working weekends through and through

No degree was needed
He learned it on his own
Building local apartments
Applying for a loan

But EVERY year
This old guy
Came to WSU
Dad’s weekend
Frat parties
Just like we would do

Only he’d show up
In blue and green
Sporting Notre Dame
He wouldn’t wear the crimson colors
I know, such a shame!

Only sober guy on campus
But he was the most fun
Loud music, sticky floors
But by midnight he was done

This is Greek life?
It’s where you choose to be?
The Pi Phi house
Just once a year
Is plenty for me

Life is great for this guy
Filled with family and friends
And long list of interests
I swear it never ends

From afternoon Harley rides
To weekends on the track
From hunting sheep and elk
Hobbies back to back

Of all the things he’s done
I know what he likes best
Some of his favorite people
Are smaller than the rest

The Grandkids all adore him
And why wouldn’t they?
PAPA IS MY FAVORITE
Is what they ALWAYS say

I think he has them trained
Or brainwashed perhaps
He feeds them gum and sugar
Right before a nap

He’s the loyalist of the loyal
The most giving of his kind
A guy like you dad
Is really hard to find

You’ve accomplished so much
In all your 60 years
We thought we’d show the crowd
Just how you got to here

We made a little slide show
We sure did our best
This is John McKenna

And you know the rest
Happy Birthday Dad!
AND MANY MORE!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment