Sunday, May 29, 2016

St. Vincent's Baptism and Confirmation

Well, we officially joined the Catholic church; St Vincent de Paul on Easter weekend.  Just a little background, I was baptized Catholic back in 1976 as a new baby.  Harv is, as he likes to say, a "blank canvas." He didn't grow up with any religion at all.  While I was baptized Catholic, I grew up in a Protestant church and have so many great memories of those days at Woodinville Methodist.  So why the conversion people ask.  Well, is it really a conversion? I guess it is, if you want to get technical.  But I have found, after joining RCIA back in September, that the teachings are very similar (if not the same) as they were when I was growing up.  It is, after all, the same God.  Yes, the Catholics are more "old school" if you will and the traditions vary a great deal but if you really understand the meaning behind what they do, it really is a beautiful thing.

Unlike many other aspects of my life, faith is very private for me.  I don't often talk of it much but I do my best to live the way God wants me to.  Overall, I think the Catholic faith is misunderstood.  And while I miss some aspects of my old churches, I have really enjoyed being welcomed by the St. Vincent Community.  In the end, Catholic or Christian, we love the same God and the core belief system is the same.  My hope is that we all come together celebrating just that.

Inside thoughts:
-The Catholic faith has so much history and is incredibly beautiful once you understand it.
- Catholics (at least these ones) do not worship Mary or the Saints.  We do not pray to them but rather ask them to intercede for us.
- The Catholic faith and Pi Beta Phi have some serious similarities.  I am beginning to think we copied the Catholics back when we were first founded in 1867.
-The St. Vincent community has been super supportive and wonderful throughout this journey and we have made some good friends in the process.
-I love that my bestie Sarah Theckston and her husband came to witness this super long Easter Vigil and support our family.
- I am super thankful for my kids and their amazing Godparents:
Roderick: Sean and Prita
McKenna: Clare and Uncle Greg
Kyler: Uncle Greg and Aunt Martha
- I am super thankful for Clare who watched our kids every single Wednesday night while we had date night… I mean, went to RCIA :-)
- We have learned so much through RCIA and we continue to learn more each day
-Our marriage was "official" on Tuesday, March 22nd so I am expecting a second honeymoon sometime here in the near future #thisweddingwasalittlesmallerthanthelastone
-Faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us, but the greatest is love.

Blessing of our marriage with Fr. Bill:
Family Pictures before Easter Vigil 
Purple: Not yet baptized 
White: Already Baptized
Harv and the 3 kids baptized together 





No comments:

Post a Comment