Tuesday, December 4, 2012

God Bless Texas

A few weeks ago, we got the opportunity to watch my dad race his Formula 1 car again.  This time, it was local... well, it was in the US- Austin, Texas.  AND, the kids were able to go this time which was so much fun.  There were SO many highlights on this trip.

1) Dad came in 15th out of 32 cars.  Pretty Awesome right?! I don't know how he does it.  Not only can he fit in the damn thing (I could hardly squeeze my hips into it) but he is able to speed around a track he has never raced before and finish in the top half.  Nice job Dad!
2) The kids were able to watch Papa qualify.  Thank God for headphones, it was a little loud for the babies but they didn't seem to mind one bit.  Roderick is still talking about how fast Papa's car went around the track.  Proud little boy...
3) We were able to spend a lot of time with our dear friends- Joe, Tamsan and Keir Sirlin.  I have known Tamsan since she was in the 6th grade.  Ironically, her husband Joe, was hired to run the F1 track in Austin just over a month ago.  We miss them here in Washington but hope to see them every year in Austin (fingers crosses... :-)  They were both a HUGE help with the kids! They even watched them for a whole day for us so we could watch dad race. Oh, and did I mention that Joe gave us VIP passes so we could watch the race from the Suite? So lucky...I know.
4) We were also able to see my dear friend James every.single.day.  He warned me before I came that he was going to join all of the family functions.  I think he said,"when you book a reservation somewhere, don't forget to add one more. I will literally become a McKenna for the week." And that he did.  Breakfast, lunch, dinner, races... James was a part of the family.  He is such good fun, everyone welcomed him with open arms.  Hey James! Its December! Shave that creepy moustache (ok, its Movember).  How's babes?
5) We were able to spend a great deal of time with family and friends in the warm Texas sun.  Oh, and Texans... it was 79 degrees the weekend I was there.  No need for boots and scarfs.  I mean, 79 degrees is HOT people.  Maybe you are weird Austin.  Just kidding.  I like you!

 A weekend at the races 
View from the Suite (dad, I've got the race on video for you) 
Speed racer and his lady
The F1 Viceroy and his Coach John P. :-)

View from the stands 




The Sirlins



James decided he need an outlet because his phone was dying on race day.  Never mind that he unplugged every TV in the suite. Who needs to watch the races anyway?  Nice work James.
Umm, James, did you forget your sonicare? :-)
The Boys
The Girls

Fun days with Auntie Pomp and Keir 


Just like 2 kids in a candy store
For their wedding slide show in 25 years :-)
Dining out in Austin 
 Lots and lots of rocks, sticks and dirt.  Yeah, its hard to have OCD when on vacation
Look at those white pants gone cream.  And Sis, thats a sock, not a mitten.
Back at the Hotel...
Roderick could not figure out why the room didn't have a kitchen or toys
No toys? Let's wrestle
And be totally adorable

She's gone county.  4 days in Texas and she came home with pink boots. God I love this girl.
What a GREAT trip! Thanks everyone!!! Can't wait until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment