Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ignorance is Bliss


This book is making me crazy.  Not just kind of crazy... REALLY crazy.  I have been known to fixate on certain things in the past but this latest obsession is not giving up.  Subject matter? OFF-GASSING. Many people don't know what that is.  Until about 6 months ago, I didn't either.  But, since we recently moved into a new house, I know waaay too much about it.  Prita- stop reading here.  :-)

Webster's definition of off-gassing: the emission of especially noxious gases (as from a building material). Now look up the word "noxious" and you will find," harmful, toxic, deadly, poisonous, lethal"... lovely huh?

You would be so surprised to know all of the things that "off-gas." Let me just name a few...

paint (most people know this one)
furniture
vinyl
carpets
counter tops
cupboards
insulation
plastic
dry cleaning
shower curtains

I mean, you name it... it can off-gass. 

I have a good friend who is all about buying environmentally friendly or used products.  She brings her own canvas bags to the grocery store so she does not use the plastic ones.  She buys all natural foods, cleaning supplies, soaps and basically lives her life GREEN.  I have to admit, I thought she was nuts every time she would lecture me on how much I waste or the harmful effects of plastics (love you Miss Frank).  Who spends all that time trying to shop organically green? That was not on my priority list at all.  I wanted new, new, new!

These days, I have found myself embracing my old (and no longer off-gassing) furniture.  I have been looking on Craigslist and buying products with low VOC's (Volatile organic compounds- don't let the word organic confuse you... they are basically chemicals that pollute our indoor air quality).  I want my family to live in one organic bubble and I want to make sure my children are not exposed to chemicals and other toxins that pollute our environment.  Is this possible? 

As I sit in our BRAND NEW bonus room with our BRAND NEW off-gassing sectional couch, I think to myself... maybe I need to be Amish.




Or not...  :-)

1 comment:

  1. You're hilarious! I def wont' read that because I'd stress out too!

    ReplyDelete